Voices of Reconciliation (VoR), funded through the generosity of USAID Cambodia, is a two year program that aims to help address national trauma resulting from the Khmer Rouge period. VoR fosters dialogue at the grassroots and national level, complementing Cambodia’s only official transitional justice mechanism, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC). By increasing knowledge of ECCC proceedings and encouraging conversation on the process of justice, EWC and partners hope to assist the reconciliation process in Cambodia.
Using an innovative people-to-people approach, combining broadcast media with community-based forums, the Project builds on a unique feature of the ECCC’s proceedings – its nationwide civil party network – to foster healthy and empowered attitudes towards a culture of peace. VoR is coordinated by AIJI and implemented in conjunction with its partners, Khmer Mekong Films (KMF) Cambodian Human Rights and Development Association (ADHOC) and Cambodian Defenders Project (CDP).
The main aims of the project are:
- Mass reach through media partnership with Khmer Mekong Films (KMF).
- Through the work of KMF, VoR hopes to reach a large Cambodian audience by producing interesting and informative outreach videos. Continuing with the Facing Justice series, KMF produced 6 videos informing Cambodian audiences about the Closing Statements of Case 002/01 and will produce another 6 more focusing on the verdict later this year. The show is broadcast on CTN, one of Cambodia’s most watched television networks.
- Additionally, KMF produced a 30 minute film shown during VoR outreaches that details the current status of the ECCC’s Case 002/01.
- Grassroots information campaign through Community Dialogues.
- VoR wishes to directly involve and empower conflict-affected groups by creating spaces for dialogue at the community level. Working with ADHOC and CDP and existing ECCC civil party networks, the VoR program will feature approximately 90 community outreaches per year across Cambodia. The outreaches will involve Cambodians of all ages and locations, facilitating conversation about the ECCC justice process and the legacy of the Khmer Rouge period.
- Accompanying these outreach sessions is several planning and coaching sessions intended to reinforce positive outreach practices as well as increase coordination among NGO groups involved.
- Capacity Building
- VoR aims to strengthen the reconciliation process by also focusing on building necessary capacity and skill among civil society groups also working in justice and conflict resolution. AIJI will be co-hosting training sessions on topics including media outreach, Fair trial rights and ECCC legal legacy, and gender sensitivity in transitional justice.
Find out more about our partners: